Saturday, April 5, 2014

wurkin' all day...

My new produce department manager must really think I'm something special: I don't usually work on Saturdays, and I worked ten hours today. Pretty impressive for someone who was working eight or ten hours a week back in January. I don't know how it happened, but there was a major under-staffing problem today, with not nearly enough hands to get the work done... so we just 'dood our bestest'.

I was so weary when I got home I got out my folding chair, got myself a beer (after checking to be sure it was five o'clock) and plopped right down. Admiring my yard, and enjoying the beauty full spring day. I noticed a couple of pink tulips blooming out under the azaleas - I planted years ago, probably a rescue job from some pots that had bloomed out at work. I think I have probably planted several dozen more in recent weeks - that the squirrels or chipmunks immediately unearthed to see if there might be a casserole for their dinner tucked away under there.  I replanted. I guess they figured it out: nothing tasty.

And some blue blooming things that I cannot quite identify. I think they are some form of hyacinth: the color is right, and the growth habit is right, but they are not at all as heavy-duty as the ones I have planted by the dozens as orphans from work. About six to eight inches tall, with numerous blue blooms in each stalk, and narrow strap-like leaves, similar to the ones I see in pots, but much narrower and smaller in size.

I got the hyacinth? bulbs years ago from my auntie, who planted and apparently did not like/want/care for. So she dug them all up and gave to me. They have all multiplied prolifically - I guess there are hundreds now. Growing out by the fence, in fairly dense shade, but really pretty and colorful. If I can figure out what they are, I will be digging some up to sell on Craig's list.

Sitting here looking out the window through the screened porch, I see lots of dogwood trees blooming out in the woods. And at the edge of the yard, the 'yellow rose of Texas' is starting to open up. That came from my mom, years ago, and have survived beautifully with total neglect. Interesting how we will think of the people who gave us the plants, and associate particular individuals with things as they become noticeable through the passing seasons. I also have some iris planted out along the driveway that came from east Georgia, the back yard of my Grandmother's sister's house. So I always think of Aunt Ease when the white iris start to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment