Saturday, April 12, 2014

297 divided by 2...

...is what the distance is from Decatur to Greenville, SC. So, of course, I came back, which accounts for the fact you have to divide by two to figure out how far it is from here to there. I spent the night in Decatur and got up about 6 a.m. to hit the road. After various and sundry cats came skulking in at some point in the wee hours, and tipped over a wooden folding chair that was leaning precariously, causing a tremendous crash, that probably terrified the cats even more than soundly sleeping me.

That six o'clock was about the time I had planned to get up and out the door, so it all worked out. I have gotten to where I try to leave town really early to avoid crazy commuter traffic, even though it is not bad on the weekends. And stop about half-way to SC, and get out to walk for a while around a covered outdoor shopping area in Commerce. Lots of retail shops, supposedly 'outlet' stores (a flagrant, blatant untruth), arranged in a big rectangle, around a central parking lot. Abut a mile of sidewalk, so I usually make the circuit a couple of times. Then get back on the road, to head on to SC. Arriving around 9:30, stopping at the nearby BI-LO for something sweet, breakfast-y for us to eat.

As soon as we eat that, we start talking about lunch. Reminding me of  a couple in Q., friends of my dad, who would get up, dressed and go out for breakfast., Then sit over their dirty breakfast dishes and discuss plans for the next meal. And go out to lunch, and sit over those dishes, deciding about where to go for dinner... and so forth, and so on...

We rode around town a bit, admiring lots of beauty-full blooms on hundreds of dogwood trees, gloriously white, with a occasional pink thrown in for variety. I'd noticed newly stocked K-Mart garden center, next to the grocery store, so we perused our way through the plants. I bought a pot of Shasta daisies and a pair of  gardening gloves. I'll plant the nice big clump of daisies into several different pots and let them grow a while before putting in the ground.

Speaking of daisies: the ones in the bed across the front of the house, were on the cusp of bursting wide open when I left town Friday morning. There in that same bed are some white-with-yellow-center daisies that bloom in the late summer, as well as some chrysanthemum daisies that bloom in the fall. I think the Shasta daisies will bloom in early summer, on a different schedule from all the others. So I am hoping, looking forward to daisies blooming, and blooming, and blooming and then blooming some more. Do you think I might be partial to daisies? Well... maybe just a little....

No comments:

Post a Comment