Monday, April 7, 2014

PS: to being a little arty...

When I got 'roped' into doing those decorations for the Sunday School classroom, I was reluctant. I think not wanting to make the time commitment. The friend, S., who had been recruited into doing the project for this teacher was probably asked due to her career as an elementary school teacher. We all know that Every elementary school teacher can work miracles in a classroom, as well as do assorted magic tricks to comfort. placate, inspire, motivate little people. And I guess most people assume that also includes coming up with instant clever creative classroom decorations that they happen to have in their bag, like Mary Poppins. Or was it her amazing umbrella?

S. had been doing the designs, fairly simple, but colorful and eye-catching for this teacher for some months, maybe a year. And had 'suggested' to me, more than once when I would see her, that this little endeavor was Right Up My Alley. How she could look at me and see under all my disguises that I had formerly worn the title of Bulletin Board Queen, I will never know. I avoided the job for months, as she continued to work with the teacher to make decorations that would fit in with the monthly chosen theme.

I think I started doing it back in January, and found it to be interesting. I don't do anything, nothing at all in an 'arty' vein. Pretty surprising? Yeah, me too. But I have been pleasantly surprised to discover I have enjoyed: pondering the idea, nurturing the spark of the theme given by the teacher, coming up with a design in my head.  Then proceeding with turning that idea into something that is up on the wall in the classroom for the teacher to use as a visual aid.

So I am ready to admit, that in spite of humongous reluctance, I have discovered this to be a blessing. An opportunity to nurture the seed and see a wee little bit of an idea grow into a (very amateurish) finished product. Something that I look at and say:  hey, that's pretty neat! I'm the slightest bit embarrassed to admit (due to the amateurish quality) that it has been enjoyable. Since I do not really do anything art-related, this has turned into something that I find some satisfaction in - being in a position to share my talent, small though it may be.

I have long known that I do not have the 'gift' for drawing or painting. My skills (as well as enjoyment) lie more towards the crafty end of the spectrum. I'm more of a make-and-do sort of person: all that mildly amusing stuff one does at summer camp. Mostly cheesy, at the level of elementary school age, but something that does open doors, show little folk the possibilities.  As well as occasionally turning on their brains to the creative arts.

All this to say, that little volunteer jobette I took on, under duress, has become enjoyable. As long as I don't procrastinate, wait till the 'assignment' is due to get started (remember all those lengthy papers you were up all night writing?). So thank you, S., for foisting this project off on me. I have recently discovered what I initially thought to be a 'chore' has become a blessing... and guess that is true of a lot of things that we do in life. Starting off thinking we are doing it for someone else, only to discover it changes Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment