Friday, April 4, 2014

most excellent therapy...

I have received an offer for an opportunity to pull weeds. I readily tell anyone who will listen that I find it to be the next best therapy in the world. The best in hole digging - regardless of whether you have anything to put in the hole or not.

Today's project is to reinvigorate a little garden spot at the elementary school a half mile down my street. The info. I have is that someone spent a good bit of time, and apparently a nice chunk of PTA money on designing and installing a garden with some perennials and shrubs. I think it was dedicated to a member of the staff (possibly retired, or maybe deceased?)

And has been consistently neglected in the intervening years. Someone at the school (possibly principal) contacted a newly-minted master gardener and asked if they/she/we would be interested in bringing the area back to life. Making me think of The Secret Garden. Though it is  not  in a secret location at all: but right by the front door of the building, where everyone who walks in can eyeball, not actually avoid seeing how shabby, weedy and un-cared for it looks. A bit of weed pulling, some judicious pruning and mulch will hopefully do the trick.

 Now is possibly a good time for a confession: I dug a hole a couple of months ago, back early in the year, shortly after a good rain. Knowing that the normally rock-hard red clay in the yard would be most easy to dig after a thorough soaking. And fully expecting that I would be performing last rites for the cat who is contentedly sleeping on the couch. I've even purchased funeral shrouds for the two remaining: both have pillowcases, ready and waiting, for the eventuality of kicking the bucket.  She seems to be in 'remission', but meds. can only 'make her comfortable' and do not actually solve/remedy the problem. The thing we will have to wonder is how long she will be 'comfortable'...

No comments:

Post a Comment