Monday, April 14, 2014

prayer week at CCC...

We are having a week of prayer at church all this week, starting tomorrow night. We do this three times a year. Once early in January, again around Easter, and for the last time in the fall. I've been mostly trying to go several nights each week... and find that I loose interest by about the fourth night. Possibly due to the fact that I know I will be working that week, leading up to Easter.  After getting up early in the morning, and working on my feets all day, I am so tired that instead of making me more meditative, reflective and holy, when they dim the lights and start with the calm soothing music: what I am is sleepy.

On Friday night, there will be a man who will come and talk about what the Passover meal would have been like 2000 years ago. What the Jewish families would have put on their tables, how they would have' observed'. I wanted to say 'celebrated', but not sure that is the right word. Even though there would have been, in retrospect, a sense of wonder, and delight to know that their homes and families had been passed by when the Angel of Death came calling. This man who is going to be speaking to the congregation on Friday night, for the last of the prayer week gatherings, is a Hebrew, a member of the Jew for Jesus organization.

The flyer in the bulletin indicated that it would be a 'stirring presentation' for attendees. It is designed to demonstrate for the Christian/non Hebrew how the Festival of Redemption and The Lamb of God are connected. The man who will be giving the talk is Georgia native, and a son of a Holocaust survivor.

PS to that: unrelated to Easter. I just finished a book by Jodi Picoult about the Holocaust. Well written, amazing research, heart-wrenching. The story of a young woman whose grandmother endured beyond endurance and survived to move to America. Fiction but profoundly believable. "The Storyteller". Hard to put down, and it's been years since a book kept me up late reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment