Tuesday, April 22, 2014

due to popular demand...

I was on the schedule at Publix to work on Monday, and have been 'invited' to go back on Wed. and Thurs. Working on a Monday is very unusual for me - I'm never there then, unless  my cohort is taking time off.  I'd like to think it's by popular demand, and there is some truth to that. The disheartening part is it is not ME that is popular. The Sunday newspaper had a Publix advertisement that included a picture of mixed fresh fruit salad. It's a pretty good deal for the buying public, one of our famous BOGO items. Which means that the fruit bowls are half price.

There were three people on the schedule Monday morning to cut melons, pineapple and strawberries. It takes that much labor to try to stay ahead of demand. There is only one person available today to do the work, which means she will never get caught up. And will probably have people standing in line awaiting the top being snapped on the next bowl. Or a long line of irate customers at the service desk, demanding Rain Checks because they were not able to make the purchase.

So I will be off today, knowing that I will work eight hours on Wednesday and again on Thursday. When I will be peeling and cubing pineapple, skinning honeydew melons and cantaloupe to cut into chunks, slicing the caps off strawberries by the quart and halving. Prepping everything I can, as fast as I can, to try to keep ahead of the person who will be cutting watermelon into cubes to make hundreds and hundreds of bowls of mixed fruit.

It's a BOGO: why are you not there??

No comments:

Post a Comment