Friday, April 4, 2014

being a little arty...

I wrote earlier in the year, about finding myself having accidently volunteered to do some room decorating for a Sunday School class teacher. Apparently she has been writing her on curriculum, developing and designing it to be appropriate/suitable for some kids with special needs. And has a different theme each month. The one for April is: guess what?  Easter - but no bunnies or chicks.

 At one time when I was desperate for income I considered trying to start a business where I would design bulleting boards: you come up with the idea, supply the paper and glue, and I will turn your spark into a clever, colorful finished product. I think there are people who do make  money, if not a living, doing this sort of thing. Dreaming up cute themes, turning their seasonal ideas into designs they create, publish and sell in book form, marketing to school teachers who apparently have no imagination. Too bad I stalled out on that...

This teacher wanted the tomb and crosses. I had a general idea, something similar to a wall I had done years ago for a bulletin board at the Presby. church we attended for many years (where I was the yard man, chief cook and bottle-washer). That one from the Presbyterians looked really good - I had lots of colored tissue paper I added to make it look like early morning, colorful sunrise on Easter Sunday. So impressed was I with my handiwork, I had a hard time wanting to take it down, so I think Easter lingered for several months... This one, just completed, (wishing I'd taken a photo!) I devoted entirely too much time to drawing with markers, snipping and gluing, putting something up on the wall this aft., partially due to having dragged my feet all week long and waiting until nearly too late to get started.

It looks ok, but would be better if I had more color choices for paper. Meaning the color choices were pretty much limited to brown and not-so-dark brown, a sort of khaki color.  Had to use what's on hand, which was not so bad, since most of the photos I seen of that part of the world lead me to think much is desert-like with little growing/green, that is not constantly nourished with scarce and precious water resources. So the illustration for the little SS kids is brown: three crosses on the hill on one side, and the Garden, with stone bench and tomb in the other. It's all glued together, except for the 'stone' which is attached with masking tape, so it can be 'rolled away' in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment