Saturday, April 19, 2014

there is this profoundly chatty guy...

...who works for a vendor, coming into the stock room at least five days a week. He is constantly talking, making conversation with anyone who will give the impression they are willing to pay attention. Chatty guy, trivial stuff, just likes to talk. Nothing of any importance: today was a (one-sided) conversation about high water in a neighbors' pond, and snakes floating around. Or what he had for supper last night, or the price of gas, or what he's doing next week, or whatever.  Just loves to talk.

The complete opposite of what goes on here. Though I suspect The Guy here is much more interactive with complete strangers than he is here  at home. Is it possible that there is just nothing left to talk about? Or that we've run out of words? Not likely for someone who can [insert blog here] numerous times a day.  I got to thinking about that vendor, who talks incessantly, constantly, endlessly. And wondering which would be easier to live with.

So I posed this question to my coworker, who has mentioned that the guy she has been with for a number of years does not seem to have any conversation left after all this time. Would it be preferable to be with someone who had nothing to say, or someone who made your ears tired every day? Would you rather spend your days with someone who you had to use dental tools on (you know: pulling teeth?) or someone who made  you feel like 'hands up', and saying 'too much information!'

I like solitude, willingly tell anyone that peace and quiet is a Good Thing. I guess maybe, possibly, I should be thankful for what I have, and appreciate the fact that I do not have tired ears?




No comments:

Post a Comment