Wednesday, November 15, 2017

went to work...

... today, though it only might, maybe, possibly, marginally qualifies as 'work'. The boss decided he could put me on the schedule one day a week to come in and smile for several hours. I am to stand by the platter of tasty bites and say: "would you like to try a sample of our fresh, tasty ________?" Last week it was pineapple chunks. Today it was new crop, fresh south Georgia pecans.

I was putting them in little sample cups, using my left hand and little clear plastic tongs. Thinking if I should ever get to the point where I am really feeling skilled and adept with the little plastic pinchers, I will be ready to eat with chopsticks. In the unlikely event I get sufficiently coordinated to master the wee tongs, moving food from the bowl to my mouth with chopsticks will be a breeze!

It was not a profitable day. I probably gave away two pounds of nuts, and might have sold six of the one pound bags for all my smiling effort. Practicing my smoothest sales pitch, with remarkably poor results. The pineapple chunks were much more successful last week: understandably since that was a BOGO (buy-one-get-one).  While the one pound bags of pecans were so high (even on sale with $1 off), no one was willing to purchase as an impulse item. If it was not on the list, it was not going in the cart.

No comments:

Post a Comment