Sunday, November 12, 2017

interesting little field trip....

.. we took on Saturday, when I went to the city. Almost driving to Atlanta, actually getting to Fulton County, where I left my car in a strip mall parking lot, and went as a passenger. Daughter agreed to pick me up in union City, on I-85 just southeast of ATL airport. I'm doing OK with driving myself single-handedly around well known places, but not yet ready to take on traffic that occurs in there big city metro-area.

I had received a little flyer that had a listing of interesting events scheduled on the Emory University campus during the fall semester. All arts related: musical performances, both vocal and instrumental concerts, a few plays, and special exhibits at the Carlos Museum. It is a really interesting place. Lots of history. I do no know much about the origins, but assume Michael Carlos was  major benefactor?
Hmmm... let me just google that up!

Alrighty, then: the museum was started in 1876. At Emory University, when it was just a tiny little backwater institute in middle Georgia, in the small town of Oxford. Over time, the school relocated to a campus (probably in very rural setting in Decatur at the time of the move) closer to a much larger population base. The museum was renovated/enlarged in recent years, and named for the very generous Mr. Carlos, with donations given in the twenty million dollar range.

I knew the facility housed a large collection of reproductions (as well as quite  few authentic items dating back to the era of the extravagant Egyptian Pharaohs)  from the pinnacle of Greek and Roman civilizations.  It had been years sine I was in the building, and possibly there to see some special exhibit, also recalling a number of pieces of art from Mediterranean area. Architectural detail from temples, statuary from pediments, vases and other smaller items from antiquity. Enough that you could spend the day and not see it all, with reading signage, studying each piece displayed, walking through galleries and perusing items fro the permanent collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment