Friday, November 24, 2017

the donation was donated...


... when they had a fundraiser auction.  The letter phrased it as: 're-donated' where a bank purchase at the auction will fund programs to enhance community resources like after school programs and literacy.  Which makes my donation all the more amazing, as I was so weighted down by the problem when I gave up ownership of the project.

This probably sounds obtuse and obscure, with explanatory back-story needed for clarification?   Look back in the archives, 'way into the past...maybe as far as June, or even into the foggy history of last spring and May?  When I found myself with a unique, custom-designed, hand-made Little Free Library. Only to become frustrated and aggravated, completely stymied about where to mount it for maximum foot-traffic. If you go back and read the history, you might even find yourself as thoroughly irritated by the annoyance as I was back then.  (All of this being a 'first world problem': like running out of hot water during your morning shower, or insufficient milk to properly float your cereal...)

Then the little light bulb blinked on, brightly glowing above my head. Dink! When the thought popped into my brain that I should take it to south Georgia and donate to the library in the little town where my family lived for generations. Nearly virgin territory for those oh-so-nifty little boxes filled with reading material, free for the taking.

Most  public libraries will have a shelf of second-hand books for sale, available for purchase. Where you can find variety of items donated by patrons, neighbors, and families wishing to recycle reading materials/movies.  Which would be the perfect source for filling and refilling the small space of a 'free take one box' as passers-by peruse and see something of personal interest.

With help, that big heavy wooden box was loaded into the back of my little Toyota and went south, after making arrangements with the head librarian, Mr. S. I had communicated with him, told S. my story, frustration about finding a location to mount it, and was delighted by his enthusiasm when he welcomed a donation.  I was relieved to get it out of my life, and he seemed pleased to be the recipient. I understood it would likely be in the fall before the box would be mounted some place in the community, filled with reading materials and put in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment