Thursday, November 9, 2017

handy household hints...


...or possibly useless information dredged up from a dust bunny-filled corner of my brain. I read some place, years ago, that putting balls of  woolen yarn in the tumble dryer would lessen the static electricity build up in clothing. Prevent clothing from clinging - to other clothing, or you - when you are dressing. So when I had a pair of warm cozy wool socks that got holey, I balled them up, like you would do to store in your sock drawer. And tossed them in the the clothes dryer. Two pair in fact, that just live in the dryer.

Occasionally, one of the two will manage to escape. Often disappear within a load of fluffy white things: sheets and towels when I pull a jumble out to take to the other end of the house, dump on a bed to fold. When found at the bottom of the pile, after everything is put away, returned to the dryer.  I recently noticed there was only one pair of balled up socks in the barrel when I opened the door to put in wet items. Baffled as to where the other socks might have escaped, knowing I did not recall finding them in recently folded items. But then that thought slipped away...

Days later, I solved the mystery: when I put on a clean, long-sleeved shirt that was hanging in my closet. Only to find one sleeve blocked/impassable. A pair of balled up socks prevented my hand from exiting the end of the sleeve. Quite amusing discovery! I laughed, then put the socks back in the dryer...

No comments:

Post a Comment