Saturday, November 4, 2017

visiting with a friend...

...dear sweet, generous, caring woman I do no see often enough. I was hoping to persuade her to go with me to a local event next week that sounds interesting, but not intriguing enough to lure me into going alone. She will be out of town, so no dice. But I like her so much, when I discovered her volunteering at Botanical Gardens this morning, I went just to chat.

We have in common: a love of growing things (master gardener volunteers), supporting the place where she was providing assistance (donating time and skills to Botanical Gardens), good food (she enjoys cooking, I like to eat whatever she is stirring up).  In reality, I obviously do not know her very well, as we shared some family history heretofore unknown to the other.  I knew from a mutual friend that an adult son had recently been in an auto. accident and had a badly damaged foot, requiring extensive surgery to repair.

As I inquired about the accidental house guest she has been caring for over recent weeks, while he hopped around her home she told me more of his story. He is old enough to have a family, with adult children in their 20's.  He was in devastating wreck some years ago, resulting in permanent injury, with him being 100% disabled, no longer employable. He has serious brain damage, causing him to be impaired with no ability to make wise decisions, among other issues. Wife walked out, children estranged. More heart-wrenching details...

All of which made my heart ache for this bright, smart, energetic, amusing 2 x cancer survivor. While at the same time, feeling profoundly, thoroughly thankful for clear headed daughters who are employable and employed, productive members of society. I am continually grateful for my own mental acuity as I stumble through financial tangle of dealing with my auntie's care. But hearing of adult children who will never be fully cable of  an independent life makes me all the more aware of oft overlooked blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment