Thursday, November 2, 2017

as a matter of fact, yes...

... I have been driving with one hand all this time - since the accident on October 14. I did not drive back from Atlanta in that condition, nor was I behind the wheel during those few hours when under the influence of scary drugs.  It didn't take me long to want to put that Rx up on the top shelf in the closet and well out of sight/use. After one night of hallucinating, bizarre dreams I was completely cured of that stuff!

But in order to get to where I want/need to be, I will readily admit  to single-handedly motoring around town. On familiar territory, going places I routinely frequent, where I am familiar with the lay of the land. Doing what I do, making the rounds...

I found myself in a situation last weekend that required more skill than I had readily available: where I had made a commitment I could not keep. A local non-profit was having a fall festival, with vendors, kids fun, food trucks. I had agreed to be there to do face painting, just quick, simple, easy designs on little faces or hands. Sadly, not do-able with my left hand, so I started scrambling to find others who could/would. It was 'way more complicated than it should have been, causing me to feel a sense of desperation. I have discovered volunteering others is far more difficult than offering oneself!

After several days of anxiously awaiting various responses that never occurred, it all came together: a dear friend offered to jump in, unexpectedly, when I called hoping to recruit her teen granddaughters. A huge relief: a replacement - and a responsible adult at that! Then, as things evolved, the whole event was cancelled, due to the likelihood of bad weather.

I still have another week of feeling disabled. I am very curious to see what is under all the wrapping: cotton batting, immobilizing splint, Ace bandage. It all happened when I was oblivious due to drugs, so I have no idea what to expect when unveiled next Wednesday. Also scheduled to start with rehab/exercising program on the same day, and probably not released to work until near year end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment