Tuesday, November 28, 2017

plan B for cookies...

... that is obviously necessary due to the abject failure of plan A. I do have some of those annoying chocolate waffle cookies, should you be interested enough to come and have a taste. But will likely put the recipe in the recycle bin, after putting the waffle iron on notice: 'stick to what you do best.'

I have recruited a friend to come and help with cookie making today. She asked if I need for her to bring anything. I said 'two good hands', because with only one, I cannot hold the bowl and stir. Plus it takes a pair to roll the cookie dough into little balls before you cook.

Gingersnaps
 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 salad oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple flavor syrup
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
extra granulated sugar to roll dough

Measure all ingredients into large bowl, blend well with mixer on low speed. It will make a thick dough. Chill. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, they will spread and flatten as they cook. Bake 350 degrees, 10-12 min., should be slightly soft when removed from oven. Cool on rack. Store in airtight container. Makes 3 1/2 to 4 dozen.

There is also an identical recipe in my file box, with the variation of making Jumbo Gingersnaps: shape 1/4 cup of dough into a ball, roll in sugar. Place 3 inches apart, bake 15 minutes. Makes abt. 10.

My dad loved these. I have never made the giant ones, but found it interesting that the  measurements and ingredients list  were identical, from different sources - only a change in the size of the finished product. I hope we will get a double batch made, to donate to the Botanical Gardens Open House, where the cookies will be sold.

PS: I would add  bit more ginger, if I ever make this again. That would cause them to be snappier. Or else, be sure you are using really fresh ginger. There's no telling how long mine has been sitting on the shelf, half empty.  Plus the cardamom seems to be missing entirely...

No comments:

Post a Comment