Friday, November 10, 2017

movies galore...

... were viewed last night. A really surprising turn of events for a couple of reasons: one being the last couple of times I checked movies out at the library, they went back without me even looking at a single one. Primarily because I don't know how to use all three remote controls necessary to start playing the DVD. Plus, by the time they are available though the public/free lending library, they have passed the period of general interest, or demand. When no longer newsworthy, no one cares about seeing the movie: it's 'old news'. Except me, of course, who failed to see stuff on the Big Screen.

It was a damp, cloudy, rainy windy day here. Perfect for sitting on the couch and being immobile. I'd been to the library for more books as reading is generally easy to accomplish with one hand. And randomly checked out five DVDs as well. We looked at three of them starting late yesterday afternoon, and finished about 10:30. Some hardly worth mentioning. But I will, if for no other reason than to save you the misery of thinking they might be worth viewing. 

After enjoying "The Lincoln Lawyer", with the very appealing Matthew McConaughey, I recall having seen it. But it did not all come together until near the end, when I finally remembered, plus he is always pleasant to look at. An interesting tale, with a surprising twist or two.  It seems to me that it was well reviewed when it was released several years ago.  Another, more recent movie that got a lot of critical attention and good reviews, was "Manchester By The Sea", with Casey Affleck. Pretty much everything about the plot-line was distressing: cold, drab, colorless scenery of winter in the northeast, physical and emotional hardships, broken families, but with a surprisingly satisfying ending. I would recommend both of these.

The not-so-hot third one, that we actually played first was "The Chocolate War", based on a novel written by Robert Cormier.  I thought I wanted to view this, after starting the book, though I did not finish it. I vaguely remembered there had been a movie based on the story, and requested it from the library. It might appeal to younger people, adolescents the original book was aimed at. My suggestion is  you would find your time better spent taking a nap.

We have two more to look at tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment