Friday, April 10, 2015

volunteering...

... today at the Botanical Gardens annual spring plant sale. I was there yesterday for several hours doing drudge work. The truck driving guy who delivered the dozens of flats of plants dropped them off in the wrong place, so we had to trundle them down the hill into the right area. With those little red wagons you see in use at outdoor garden shops, that will only hold two or three good sized pots, or three flats of bedding plants. It's a very steep hill, so extra steps to get up and down. Kinda like that tedious campfire song, that I am thinking was about a bear hunt? You know: how you can't get over it, and can't get around it, so you have to go through it? This steep incline was so troublesome (especially for the bad knee) I made lots of extra steps to get around the part my legs did not want to participate in.

A couple of hours of draggin' wagon up the hill, and loaded with plants back down into the lawn area. Then going back to the Garden in the late afternoon for the 'members only' party. With wine and cheese cubes, little finger-food-like substances (pre-fab from Sams's Club)  crackers and dip. I was writing out tickets for people to go through the check out and pay for their goods, for a couple of hours.

I tried my best to resist, not buy anything... sadly: two $5 plants. I was so certain I had the fortitude to not make any purchases, I did not even take cash. So had to set them aside with the understanding I would bring funds today to pay. At least it was not as costly as the volunteering I did up at Callaway Gardens a couple of weeks ago, when I bought three for $8 each, and one of those has already died.

And will go back today, should have already left the house, to do whatever is needed for the day. Hope it does not rain on the plant sale. I have some things I would like to get in the ground here, to get a good soaking rain, and will try to do that this afternoon, when the volunteering is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment