Friday, April 10, 2015

the knee doctor...

... could be in his forties, but they all pretty much look like teenagers to me. Old enough to be past the point of having to ride his bicycle to work, but young enough to still be of the age that thinks bike riding is great fun. You know how they all specialize in a particular body part: left earlobe, right foot/big toe. So you have to get in line and wait for the individual who has the training to deal with your particular problematic part.

I had a follow up appointment on Thursday morning, for him to see the pictures and decide/make a recommendation for options. He said he could see 'potholes' and scarring/abrasions. Which makes me sound like a good candidate for some repairs by the state DOT guys, most of whom stand around leaning on shovels, watching that one guy do all the work.

He did not feel like we should jump into anything without first making an effort at rehab that might help gain some flexibility/mobility. I'm all for that, being the person who has said frequently over the years: I can' t imagine being miserable enough to allow someone to cut you open to solve a problem. Mostly, as you might guess, because I have never had a problem of the seriousness that would require being sliced and diced.

I can't really describe the problem with my knee. It's not specifically painful, though there are times I do have plenty of that. And lately find that it wakes me and keeps me awake trying to get comfortable at night. It's stiff, and inflamed/swollen, lacking in flexibility. Especially when I compare it to the other knee, the one that seems to be working perfectly well for someone my age, though I'm sure there is arthritis in the healthy one, and other places too.

So I will make some trips to the rehab center starting next week to see if they might have some tricks that will improve mobility, flexibility and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment