Thursday, April 16, 2015

cookin' at work: chicken with lime juice...

...was pretty good, even though I am not a voracious carnivore. It was a really simple, easy recipe, that would go together in the time it takes everyone to get in the door, get book bags unloaded and homework started: the sort of recipe a busy mom needs to have available, ready to pull dinner out of a hat/fridge.

Put a bit of seasoning on the chicken breasts (which I cut in half the long way, after the first attempt when they took so long to get done, as judged by the meat thermom) and saute in a little oil and butter together. Whisk in the juice of a couple of limes (and a bit of water to make a little more liquid/sauce), slice and serve. It would be good over rice, or with potatoes. Add a veg. or salad and there's a quick meal to 'bring your family back to the table', as we say in the food demo. kiosk before we start serving bites to customers for taste-testing.

I'm not apologizing, or sorry to have to admit: I am forever trying to smuggle in vegetables. So if I were to make it at home, I would saute some onions and celery, maybe even some diced up bell pepper, before I put in the chicken. My kids are horrified by my continual efforts to sneak nutrition into a meal. But between  my aversion to meat, and desire for healthy/more vegetables, I don't see any reason to not add something that would enhance the taste experience as well as add some good veg. and fiber to the meal.

The actual title on the recipe card probably had something to do with 'mexican' or 'festive', but if you go to the Aprons site and type in the ingredients 'chicken and lime juice', I am sure you will find the one I made all day yesterday. And will be making and giving away again today. Back during the era of sewing, when kids would happily wear home manufactured clothing, I used to say I would never buy a pattern that did not have EZ in big print on the front. I expect there are many who feel the same about a recipe. This one did not actually have that printed on the card, but I have a Sharpie and will gladly write it on there for you. Plus a side dish that goes together while the chicken is cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment