Monday, April 20, 2015

leaving work one night ...

...last week, after doing the food demo. I was gathering up the flowers I would need to take to TN, and about to walk to the register to pay for my goods. As I went to pick up my bucket of cut flowers, a couple of people walked up and said: do you work here? Of course, I said 'yes', and they asked if I could make a boutinierre. I was sort of anxious about saying yes, as I know there are generally consequences to face when anyone does any sort of work that is not 'paid', on the clock. I wanted to help them out, but worried about getting caught. Which is sort of strange, when the company puts so much emphasis on Doing The Right Thing.

But they told me a story about the teenager going to the prom, and the mom with her having surgery on her foot the following day, and this being the only, very last chance, for the girl to get what she needed to go on a Big Deal Date. So I said: let me look and see what sort of roses there are in the back storage/stock room area. And found what she needed, made her flower, and both were happy to have the dilemma resolved.

I told the young girl I was about thirty seconds from leaving the store, and she was very fortunate that they walked up when they came in. And that it was pretty obvious to me that the reason I was still there, when I should have been gone, out the door and on my way home: to be there and help people who were in need of a blessing. They did not get it for free, but they did get what they wanted when they wanted it. So I was happy to help, and think they were happy to have found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment