Sunday, April 12, 2015

book review: "The Silent Sister"...

... by Diane Chamberlain. She is a fiction writer and has a number of items published. I picked this one up at the library on Thursday, just randomly walking through the stacks looking for something interesting to read. I had it done in three days. Finished yesterday afternoon, when I came in from work and laid down to rest my gimpy knee. It would have been done in 24 hours if I had not been otherwise committed. But the obligation of a day of volunteering at the plant sale, and necessity of being at work at 6 a.m. on Saturday caused me to take much longer to get to the end.

It starts off with a young woman, Riley, returning to the home of her parents after her dads' death. Riley is employed as a school counselor and plans to take the summer off to sort through her parents belongings. She is the executor, and plans to clean out the family home, put property on the market and settle the estate. As she attempts to re-establish a relationship with a brother who is struggling with PTSD, and encounters family friends, she discovers her entire life has been built on one false assumption after another. Fascinating read. The kind of book that makes you think: this is going to resurface one day as a movie plot. Copyright 2014.

I had not read anything by this author previously, but will look for more of her work in the library. Honestly, if I had had the time to devote to reading the story, it was so intriguing, I think I really would have been able to return it to the library the next day. It will be interesting to see if her other books read as well as this one. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment