Tuesday, April 21, 2015

making a donation...

...to the ARC. Which requires me to really double up on iron supplements. I often go to the donor center to try to give a pint., only to be rejected. Which is troubling, as it is difficult to understand why when one is making a volunteer effort, the offering is not accepted. I do understand the risk of being considered to have insufficient hemoglobin to be considered as a prospect, but again: I am volunteering myself to get poked and the donor center workers turn away a perfectly good, clean, needed pint of blood. I'd be forever low, lacking in red blood cells if I did not take the supplements, due to not being a red meat eater. And think they would likely turn me away if I told them what happens before they take my blood. Sort of like 'carb-loading', but not?

In anticipation of making a donation I have been consuming more iron than usual. Routinely, I will only take a supplement every other day, in addition to the usual multi-vitamin. But as preparation for the offering, I have been taking supplements every time I think about it: often more than once a day. So I had vast quantities of red blood cells today, and was welcomed by the staff to come in, have a seat, and let us poke you in the arm with a huge needle. Surprisingly, it was not nearly as miserable as usual. I told the phlebotomist when she finished: that was the easiest experience I have ever had with giving blood.

I usually make a beeline for Wendy's to treat myself to a burger when I am a pint short, but today I came home and had a glass of wine. They told me to increase my liquids for the next twenty four hours: I was just doing as instructed!

No comments:

Post a Comment