Thursday, April 2, 2015

cookin' at work...(yummy corn casserole)

... is what I expected when I went in on Wednesday. The recipes had changed and, just as I thought, there are several 'accompaniment' dishes for Easter Lunch. We were actually supposed to be sampling the RTU ham as well, though it did not happen on my shift.  It was all I could manage to get the other three recipes done and on the plates each time they were ready to serve.  So all those customers who came in on Wednesday, get home and remember what they forgot.  Then return between now and Saturday to discover that they should have been getting a taste of ham. Becoming thoroughly annoyed that I did not offer them the pork bite to have some pig to chew.

While I am remembering when I was a new bride, and just beginning to do the things new brides feel are expected of them. Which means putting a full meal on the table every day. How difficult it was to get all that stuff synchronized. Never realizing the most complicated thing about cooking is not the actual cooking - but all the thinking. What a struggle it is to have everything ready, sitting in serving dishes on the table, all things at appropriate temperature, when the consumers sit down to a meal. It's a real challenge to figure out the 'dance' of when to start what, and what the sequencing should be to accomplish something that looks so easy when your mom (with years of experience) is doing it...

But the other things they got to sample were so delish, I would like to believe I won't get reported for not doing my job properly. Though I am sure I will eventually hear about failure to comply with the instructions.  Getting a tongue lashing at  minimum and demerits on the next job evaluation most likely. Oh well...I'll not loose any sleep over that...

The recipe was for a corn casserole that had: Ready? Bacon and cheese in it. So - you are probably thinking "why bother to add the corn, right?  It's similar to the need for the sliced bread to transport the ingredients in the BLT from your plate to your mouth: just a carrier for all the good stuff the taste buds anticipate.

Two bags of frozen corn, flour and eggs to thicken, make it more spoonable/casserole like, a bit of sugar (I would not add), seasoning, RTU bacon, chives, a little butter and a lot of cheese, spoon into a greased 8x8 casserole, bake 35 min at 325. I'd pretty much completed my assignment for food to take to lunch on Sunday, but think the corn dish is so good, I will likely make and take. Sadly I gave it all away, all four times I cooked it, so never actually tasted, but with bacon and cheese how can you go wrong? Right !

The other things I was preparing, side dishes for the lunch were a strawberry dessert, with lemon curd and sour cream topped with vanilla oreo cookie crumbs. And stir friend zucchini with fresh sweet peppers and fresh mushrooms, topped with parmesan cheese. Pretty much every one who tried it said: Good. But that's the usual response when you ask passers-by if they would like to try the delicious new recipe, and they get a plate full of free food.

No comments:

Post a Comment