Wednesday, April 1, 2015

cookin at work...

...for the third day this week. I don't know what the recipe will be, as a new one starts on Wednesdays when the ad. comes out in the newspaper. My guess is that it will be some side dishes that would be considered 'traditional' accompaniments to take to family gatherings. Things people in the south have come to expect to see on the table when everyone walks in with an addition to the meal, and plunks down their contribution to the dinner.

Over the holidays at the end of last year, there were a couple of times when the food being sampled originated with recipes that are sort of old standbys for pot luck meals in the south. Usually with some additional items or change in spices to alter the flavor enough to hear people ask: 'what's different?'' Which then gives the cook an opportunity to talk about variations on old themes  And practice our salesmanship, which is, of course, the whole reason we are standing there cooking and giving food away for eight hours a day.

So I do not know what I will be preparing at work today, but do know what I will be making to take to the gathering on Sunday. When the store is thankfully closed for the day. My contributions to the meal in Decatur will be carrot cake (it isn't Easter without something for the Bunny, right?) and deviled eggs (of course!). Other than that I have no other instructions. I've bought carrots and eggs, so I better get hopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment