Monday, April 20, 2015

cookin' at work: steak and rice...

... the recipe for the next couple of days. I'm not planning to put a piece of cow in my mouth, but the response from the tasters has been very positive. Everyone who tried it said they really liked the steak. I cooked it in the skillet, though the recipe calls for putting it on a grill. Debated about putting it in the oven, but decided to 'just do it', and see what would happen. Pretty good results, according to the passers-by who gave it a try.

The steaks started with a New York strip. How could you go wrong with that for a beginning? It's going to be tender no matter what you do to it. The recipe has you mix up some marinade: a combination of sundried tomato salad dressing with a packet of brown gravy mix. Shake it up in a gallon zipper bag to mix, then add steaks, making sure they are well covered. Refrigerate. Then you put it on the grill for about four or five minutes in each side. So I did that in the skillet. They thought I was so smart! When all I really did was follow the recipe to the best of my ability, without an actual grill.

The really good stuff, as far as I am concerned, was the rice. So good, I could have eaten the whole bowl. It starts with butter, melted in the skillet, then add diced garlic. Stir in diced onions, bell pepper and celery. (You can buy a container of this in the produce dept., mixed, diced, RTU.)  Add a handful/half a box of sliced mushrooms. Stir in a package of rice (the recipe calls for the RTU stuff, like Uncle Bens' shelf stable variety, but I'd cook some to stir in.) Then add a half cup of Alfredo sauce and two Tbs. of grated parmesan. Stir while heating. When ready to serve, sprinkle on some finely diced basil.

Oh, my goodness. I'm thinking: if you added some shredded chicken from one you buy in the deli, you've got a complete meal. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment