Saturday, April 15, 2017

thinking about my dad...

...because it is April 15, a date that always sticks in my mind, associated with him.As everyone who is a US citizen knows, it is the day your tax paperwork/return must be in the hands of the feds. You must file and have the documents postmarked by the 15th of the month, or you will be charged a late fee.

My dad refused to pay before the last possible day. If he owned any taxes he would definitely be putting his check in the mail with his return on April 15. Not a day sooner. Whereas, on the other hand, if Uncle Sam owed him a refund, he would, of course, have his envelope to the post office much earlier in the game. But he was determined to not let the revenooers get their hands on his money any earlier than absolutely necessary. I always think of him on Income Tax Day.

Even though I understand there are couple of days of a grace period this year, due to the 15 falling on a Saturday. I don't know why the IRS is being so lenient: it's not like people just suddenly woke up this morning and thought: 'Holy Cow-pie! I need to get my taxes done today'. They have know April 15 was coming for months. Probably those same people who show up on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and load a grocery cart up with all the makings for a big dinner - including a twenty pound frozen turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment