Monday, October 3, 2016

with age, comes...

... a willingness to tell stories on myself, admit to foolish behavior and share moments of the ridiculous. Here is my funny story that occured about a week ago, when I went to bed too early one night. I was really tired, plus wanted to get away from the persistent blaring of the television. I generally have a library book in progress, reading myself to sleep after I get in bed. I was obviously so weary I did not read long, before my eyes wouldn't stay open and I fell asleep. Probably around 8:30 or so. Which I readily agree is 'too early', as anyone who crashes at that time, is almost guaranteed to be wide awake at 4 a.m., wishing to go back to sleep, but rarely finding any significant rest.

But what happened here: I startled awake, looked at the digital numbers on the clock and panicked. Thought I was late for work, and jumped out of bed and into my clothes, ready to tie on my shoes and dash out the door. Thinking it was 5:39, and I had to be at work at 6:00 a.m. Holy cow! I am so diligent about being there on time, and generally clock in four or five minutes early, rather than late, I am never clocking in even a minute past my scheduled time.

I knew I could do it, and get there to be clocking in at six, if all the lights were green and I could inch up a few miles over the speed limit. But when I looked at the clock on the wall in the kitchen, I discovered it was really 9:41 p.m. Meaning I could go back to bed and wake up again the next morning in ample time for work. The '5' and the '9' on the digital clock face looked so much alike when I startled awake after only an hour's sleep - I thought I had failed to set the alarm and was dangerously close to being late for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment