Saturday, November 9, 2013

traveling again...

This second weekend in November is the one we'd decided on for me to be in TN. But before I could get there, I first veered off to south GA. Then got up on Friday morning, and drove north. So arrived in TN on Friday afternoon. But before I actually crossed the state line, I stopped in the little town of Ringgold - the exit before I usually get off the interstate at Ft. Oglethorpe. All's I wanted was a place to mail my letters that had been from one end of the state to the other, since I had written them before leaving Columbus.

They were the letters referred to in the previous blog-ette, and I needed to find a place to use a copier to send the veterans the letter from the newspaper that inspired me to make the donation for flag-buying. I thought: surely there is a little print shop, or public library where I can make several copies, for pocket change, and will then put my notes in the local postoffice. So I veered off the northbound interstate highway, and stopped at the second traffic light, went into a local pharmacy to ask where to find someplace that had a copy machine.

The clerk at the drug store sent me to the post office, where I was told they no longer have a copier, due to the fact that it was in need of repair more often than operational. The clerk there sent me to the courthouse, across the street, a after warning I would have to go through the metal detector, whereupon I went to put my folding pocket knife in the car. Went in the backdoor of the courts building, to find a deputy manning the metal detector. A very friendly fellow who said that he did not know of anyplace in the courthouse where they would let me make copies, due to privacy laws????

But he did suggest that I go to the post office. Which I explained would not work out. So we decided on going to the Ingalls grocery store, back up there at the second traffic light, which is where I started off. So I meandered around by my elbow and  found my way back to the main street, corner with the traffic signal. And went into the grocery store, with my tale of woe.

Begged the young clerk at the customer service desk to help me make copies... I must have done a great job of 'pitiful' as she took my paper, went off to the back of the store. Where she stayed and stayed, and finally returned with four copies of the article that looked like the duplication machine had been sitting out on the loading dock for twenty years. Almost of the 'mimeograph' era. But I thanked her profusely, probably kissed her and went to mail my letters. At five minutes after five, even though the clerk at desk in the P.O. said the last pick up/out-going mail was at 5:00.

And I realized, about the time the letters dropped into the mail slot that Monday is Veteran's Day = no delivery service, so it will be next Tuesday before they even leave Ringgold...after all that chasing my tail to get the letters in the mail and on their way to the veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment