Friday, November 8, 2013

about being burgled….(edited with pictures)

When I put info. on the local panhandle area info list serve about the home invasion, I got a note suggesting I might want to contact a reporter from the newspaper. She was putting together an article about criminal activity out in the east end of the county, and how frequently this type thing has been occurring lately.

So I called the number, talked to the reporter, answering some questions, providing opinions. And said that though there was naturally a sense of 'being violated', with personal space being ransacked, I knew what we had taken was all just 'stuff'. Even though they were things that would be of some immediate use to burglars, as they were items that would be of monetary value, sellable on the street corner, desirable in the pawnshops, or in trade for illegal ingestible substances. Some so unique they would immediately be reported to public safety if they turned up in pawn shops, things that could never be replaced: jewelry of sentimental value, and commemorative items that were limited production awards.

But still - no one was at home, so no one was hurt, and even though some of the items are really irreplaceable, they were 'things' and 'stuff' we can easily live without.  Insurance will help repair the damage to the house, and might cover the cost of some of the things that were taken… but even so: they were all things that we had tucked away in drawers, jewelry boxes, so obviously were not of enough value for us to consider them as 'treasures'.



Plus we all know there is no long term value/purpose in 'storing up treasures here on earth', where rust and rot, bugs and humidity will ultimately return everything back into the elemental matter from which it was created….I'm a whole lot  more interested in having stars in my crown when I get to the Pearly Gates. Not that I believe we can 'earn' our way past St. Peter, but I do know all those rings and watches and bracelets are not going to be of any value when I get there to make an accounting of how I spent my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment