Thursday, November 14, 2013

a universal annoyance...

I had an appointment to be at the doctor's office on Monday morning. I got there about fifteen minutes before my scheduled time, as I know they hand out questionairres on clipboards and require patients to answer the same set of questions at every office visit,  no matter how often you come in the door. The waiting area was so full (a pretty small space - with maybe ten or twelve chairs) that I took the last empty space. And when an older woman, with a walker came bumping in the door, I got up to give her my chair.

It was a bad rendition of the beginning lines from The Cat In The Hat, where 'we sat and sat'. I was there for precisely two hours before I was ushered into a cubicle. A tech. did take my temp/bp/lbs., after about an hour, and return me to the waiting area. Where I had ample time to prepare my speech of indignation I was fully prepared to give to the dr. when I finally saw her. But when she came in the room apologizing, I didn't use it.

I went with my auntie in Valdosta on Tuesday morning to a dr. appt. with the man who has done some surgery on her person. When we walked into the waiting area, and saw over three dozen chairs, most of which had people sitting in them, I knew it was going to be a loooonnnnnggg wait.  I was very thankful to have brought reading material - though I finished it, and was reduced to reading the Southern Living magazine from 1999.  (I'll let you know how that recipe I swiped turns out.) We'd arrived about fifiteen minutes early, and it was nearly two hours before they took her back in the inner sanctum for weighing/measuring. We were the absolute last people to leave the building before they locked the doors for lunch.

So you can imagine that after having devoted over four hours of my time to cooling my heels in the waiting rooms of doctor's offices, I am trying to figure out why it is that WE are not allowed to bill THEM for our time?

No comments:

Post a Comment