Monday, November 25, 2013

mom's majik mox...

 Latest installment of Mom's Majik Mox, sent to Chattanooga to help out at the house where people work crazy hours, but like to sit down to an occasional (rare) meal together. I've sent a couple already, and making plans for the next one soon. (It's really not a 'mox', but that just sounded more alliterative than 'box'.)

I was at a friend's house and noticing a cookbook that seemed to be the answer to the working woman's  multi-tasking dilemma: too much to do in too little time. I borrowed the book 'indefinitely', and brought it home, to pick it up and page through it several times. I've found several things that look: a) easy and b) tasty. So I copied several recipes, and made a list to shop for ingredients - the 'dry goods' part that store/ship well.

The latest installment of 'mom's majik mox' was a sort of casserole, what my sister in law would call a 'group dish'. I sent the canned goods, and the box of cornbread, with instructions for assembly. I also included an actual 8 x 8 pan that was a layer cake pan of my mom's. I'd read a really sweet story in a magazine recently written by someone who had come to treasure her mom's pan, how the history of the container meant as much as all the good things she had eaten out of it over the years. So along with the ingredients, there was also a pan in the box, if she wants to get sentimental about i. It's the one that held the batter for dozens of layer cakes for dozens of birthdays over many years, when Choppy was baking cakes for family celebrations.

Chili-Cornbread Pie

Cooking spray
1 Medium onion, diced
1 (15 oz) can low fat chili beef soup
1 (11 oz) can Mexican style corn, drained
1 cup (4 oz) shredded reduced fat Mexican- blend cheeze
1 (6 oz) package butter milk cornbread mix
2/3 cup water or milk

Preheat oven to 450.
Cook onion in a skillet until tender.Add soupt and corn, stirring well just until heated thoroughly. Spoon into coated 8 inch square baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over mixture. Combine cornbread mix with liquid, stirring until smooth. Pour batter over hot mixture. Bake at 450 for 18 t0 20 min, until golden. Serves 6.
No reason you could not use good tasty, fat free homemade chili if you've made a pot and have leftovers, that would be 'way better than that which comes out of a can. I think the only canned I could find on the soup aisle was 18 or 19 oz, so I'd just guess at two cups, then add the other stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment