Monday, November 18, 2013

my bank statement... argghhh...

I am not ashamed or embarrassed to tell people I am hopelessly 'math impaired'. For years I thought that was a big stone around my neck (and in reality it probably is - but I've gotten so accustomed to the burden, it has become weightless). But at some point, I finally realized that we all have different gifts, and that I do have things that I am good at to compensate for my brain not being wired for numbers.

But this go-round has been one of the most frustrating in recent years. It has taken about six hours over four days to balance my checkbook register with the statement that came from the bank last week. I sorta gave my brain a vacation in Sunday, deliberately avoiding numerical things.. I had struggled with it for two days already, and sat down to wrestle again this morning. Having learned that it is best attempted early in the day when things are clean, fresh, alert, rather than at night when my eyes and grey matter are tired and ready to shut down.

It finally came together, mostly because I said:' This piece of #%@* is not going to get the best of me'. When I looked back two months and found a couple of checks that had not cleared - it all fell into place. Which I would have done four days ago, had I been alert enough to think of this, and smart enough to know what to look for. So that is definitely Not my strong suit. But if you want me to teach you how to tie a beautiful bow for your Christmas wreath - I'm all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment