Saturday, November 2, 2013

saturday morning project...

I read this little announcement in the paper on Thursday. That is the day that all the 'goings-on' around town end up in a supplement that used to be about a dozen pages, and has over time been whittled down, by the publisher, cutting corners and saving on ink and newsprint, to it's current status of four half pages. But anything of note that might be happening in the area over the coming weekend usually finds it's way into this supplement - for the few of us left who depend on the printed word for our information.

The announcement stated that all interested parties should show up at 9 a.m. to help with producing blankets for the Linus Project. For more info., we were directed to: www.Linusproject.org, or paperwork that we could pick up on the registration table. I knew nothing about it, but was interested enough to make an appearance at the church where the group was to meet. There were about a dozen people, half of whom straggled in even later than myself, who showed up fifteen  minutes late. (A kinda-sorta joke at our house is that we always take two vehicles to church as I don't like to go half-hour early and he does not like to be just 'on time' as that is his definition of 'late'. I don't seem to get any place on time except when I am getting paid: then I am always fifteen minutes early to try to pad my paycheck.)

After the person, who was apparently the organizer, spent over thirty minutes talking about the project, we were finally given the opportunity to do some actual work. I was so annoyed at all the explanation, history, background talk, I was so steamed I walked out. But did not: and enjoyed the morning, talking to a couple of people I have not seen in years. While sewing the little identifying tags onto the corners of dozens of blankets. Most of which were crochet, with a stitch that was so loose it was hard to secure the printed satin strips of ribbon on, meant to remind the recipient it was a gift from the Linus Project. This group, in various configurations apparently meets weekly there at the Presbyterian church, and monthly at a Senior Center, and will meet quarterly in the fellowship hall of the church on a Saturday.

Some of the blankets they provide are knitted, some crochet, some fleece, some of the sort where you have two squares of cloth that are snipped along the edge, and knotted together around four sides. Some just hemmed fleece in a big square. Some heavy weight flannel, with blanket stitching around the edges. Some decorated with crocheted chain stitch, then a decorative stitch added along the edge. The 'boss' of the event said that blankets are given to children who are in intensive care unit at the local hospital, and to each baby admitted to NICU. Hundreds of blankets were donated to all the children who were attending the elementary school in Vermont after the shooting at Sandy Hook months ago.

I'll probably try to meet with them again, but if they are looking for crocheters, it won't be me. All I did today was stitch down the corners of those little pieces of satin with the logo. It was no more difficult that sewing on four buttons, which I do quite poorly, so I am thankful I was not being graded on my needle'ing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment