Thursday, November 21, 2013

not necessairily....

...an advance/early pre-Thanksgiving bout of thankfulness, but something I'd never had reason to consider before. I had a friend on my mind in recent days, someone I had not seen or talked with in several  months. We would occasionally meet for lunch, and she is one of those people I occasionally send a 'thinking of you' card when to, or travel and buy postcards to send to people back on the 'homefront'. So I called her this afternoon.

She was so sad, apparently depressed for some time, she could hardly talk. An adult daughter with lots of problems, the stuff we now pile into the catchall phrase of 'issues'. I know that this daughter, who is older than my two, has been teaching in the public schools (enough crazy-making for anyone!) and struggling with some personal/relationship problems. But from what I could gather through the sobs, my friend has been trying to help the daughter through some emotional crisis. Which has apparently caused the friend, a bit older than me, to fall into the pit along with her adult child.

So: thanks to and for daughters. Thanks for being so adult. So capable. So all-round able. So responsible (probably more so than I was at your age!) Such functioning adults. So not into drugs or other methods of altering your awareness/mood. Thanks for becoming remarkably sweet, caring, compassionate, honest, good people. I am so thankful for who you have become. Amazing people.

After I got off the phone with the heartbroken friend, I went straight to my little Book of Blessings. I think I have mentioned previously, a little pocket sized book, wherein I try to remember to make a note every day of something that I am thankful for. After this morning's entry, where I had written:
                     11-21-12:
                      Health
                      Home - warm, dry, hopefully safe,
and added:     Sensible, level-headed, healthy, drug-free daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment