Friday, September 8, 2017

suprising visitor...


... walked up into the carport one morning this week. I went out to my car to bring in some of the flotsam and jetsam that perpetually accumulates, clean out some misc. in order to replace it with more. Then I said, 'hmmm.... might as well do bit of sweeping right here around the recycle bin', and as I was getting the broom to tidy up, I turned around and saw: a small box turtle calmly walking my way.

Caught completely by surprise, I said "Whoa!" but it did not. Continued to slowly amble his way into the carport, headed under the back end of my car. My thought; that Is not a good idea. I had no plans to move the car, but knew there was no advantage for the little reptile to wander on into what amounts to a very large box. A dead end for a slow moving terrapin, who would only have to figure how to extricate himself. Plus nothing at all in the way of sustenance in that big empty room where he would be confined.

Proceeded to pick him up, so he immediately retreated to the safety of a closed up shell. I put him down out on the concrete apron, expecting he would mosey on off into the leaf mulch and make his way into the woods.

He soon stuck his head out of his shell, on his tiny little turtle neck, and poked it up, looking for the world like a periscope on a submarine, peering around at the scenery. Then the little scale-y feet came out, and he proceeded to rotate, make his way back into the carport, headed up under my car again. An exercise in futility.

I picked him up again, and took him out in the back yard, and put him down. Where the mottled pattern on his shell caused him to almost immediately disappear into the leaf mulch under the trees. I have put several others, about the same size, as big as your balled up fist, in the back yard over the years. Hoping they would be safe, live long and multiply. I have never seen one out there in the fenced in space, so I know they get out, and would like to think find a safe haven in the densely wooded lot meandering down the hill towards the creek. Maybe find a spouse, make the next generation of box turtles.


No comments:

Post a Comment