Sunday, September 17, 2017

about once each year...

... a letter arrives from a small town in middle Georgia, where my mom and her mother were from. My mom was born in a tiny little town, after my grandparents met and wed. There was an older sister, then my mom. But before they came into the world, the grandparents had another child that did not survive. I don't know if the first born was not full term, or died at birth, but the newborn infant was buried in a cemetery there in middle Georgia, where my great grandparents are lived, and are buried.

Some individual who tries to keep the cemetery neat and tidy, has been sending me a notice for some years, giving a report on the expenses involved in upkeep, and what they do try to keep it looking nice. Apparently she has passed the project off to someone else, as the letter that came a couple of weeks ago, was signed with an unfamiliar name. Requesting financial support be sent in care of the local UMC. When I get the annual notice, I always write a check to help defray the expense of gas for mowing and constant need for labor to keep it looking presentable.

The most recent letter came earlier than usual, and arrived several weeks ago. It usually shows up near the end of the year. I decided to try to drum up some interest by copying the letter to mail to my brother, and cousins who should be interested in helping out. And wrote a note of explanation to go along with the copy asking for donations to support  ongoing maintenance. Ending with a quote from Jiminy Cricket (from the Walt Disney "Pinocchio" movie), who told the little puppet: "Let your conscience be your guide."

My brother said he would mail me a check to send, but did not want to send it directly and chance getting on the mailing list. Remember those little bracelets that were so popular some years ago? Rubberized with WWJD printed on each one, as a reminder to be on guard, constantly watchful throughout your day. I doubt I could find one at this distance in time, but thinking I wish I could send him one as a gentle: "What would Jiminy do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment