Wednesday, September 20, 2017

it happened at work... part 347...

... something I thought was amusing, but there is a good chance you could read on a while and then begin to say to yourself: huh? It could easily loose quite a bit in translation, but give it a try. Admittedly it is not nearly as entertaining as the one from several days ago when I told my boss I could not tend to everybodys' business, though I would give it my best effort. I am still chuckling to myself when I think of how impressive it was that I could come up with such a smart-a$$ answer on such short notice. Usually thinking of the 'perfect' response long after the occasion has passed....

A co-worker loves to get involved, give advice, offer opinions to anyone who will listen, whether there is a need for her to insert herself in the conversation or not. She has lots of opinions and willing to share her knowledge to any and all passersby. I will say that she has some years under her belt, lots of experience, and often can provide well considered advice. We have many conversations while working, about young people and how they seem to believe that they have no need to heed the words of their elders, already knowing It All.

When people call out sick, or tired or lazy, I often work extra hours, resulting in an enhanced paycheck. As someone who chooses to be part-time, I am usually willing to take advantage of opportunities to increase my weekly income, by staying late, helping out, jumping in the gap. This co-worker recently cautioned me, warning  I might be working too many hours in a given week. That is not my problem and is most definitely not hers.

The latest amusement was a result of me showing some extra 'initiative', getting in motion and doing something that needed to be done that was not my responsibility. There was to be an opportunity for customers to taste samples of fresh produce, with preparation needed before the time for the event to begin. I got busy and put the thing together. But that co-worker asked me what I was doing. She had expected, I assume, that the manager would do the prep. for the event, and apparently concerned that I was doing it for him. Essentially doing some other person's job.

So I went to the manager and said: "You need to tell Me to set up the fresh tasting demo.". He looked at me with a very puzzled expression. I said it again. "I need for you to tell me to go get the demo. ready". Then he turned around to see it was operational, open for business, serving customers samples of fresh fruit. And even more baffled. I said "I need for you to tell me to get it done, so when I am asked why: I can say you told me." We had a good laugh, knowing what would happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment