Monday, September 18, 2017

flying trip to FL...

... on Saturday, driving to Valdosta by way of Tallahassee. Wanted to see friends who have moved from central FL to the panhandle area, and settled there to be closer to family. I planned to get there in time for lunch, hoping to also see adult children who are raising the next generation of amusing little people. The little ones were just as busy and entertaining as I had envisoned. Could hardly sit still long enough to eat lunch before getting back to their 'work' of engineering, building with reclaimed cardboard vacuum cleaner box. Pleasant lunch, with some of my favorite people.

It was a beautiful day to travel, nothing like the dire predictions of last weekend when the entire state was preparing to be blown off the may by Hurricane winds and rain. Tally is not that far into the state, probably less than fifty miles from the GA/FL line, but enough that I can say I've been. There was evidence everywhere of storm damage, limbs piled out along the verge for pick-up. Twisted and snapped utility poles, with wires dangling dangerously everywhere. Men with pickup trucks digging through the trash, looking for oak limbs to use for firewood. Signs mangled, or blown out/over. Tree trash everywhere. Houses roofed with blue tarps, where trees had fallen, or shingles had loosened. Personally, I continue to ignore the mess in my yard with limbs everywhere that need to be relocated.

Barely into the Sunshine State for several hours and then back into south GA. Making several stops to visit friends and family. I did go to see the auntie, who was more pleasant and agreeable than I have seen in ...Wow! I cannot say how long it has been since she was so mild-mannered. Thanks, I suppose to the miracles of pharmaceuticals: The last Rx she started was filled about a  month ago.  Hopefully it has finally taken effect and will provide some much needed stability and peace, suppress some of her ongoing anxiety and agitation.

I spent the night in Valdosta, and got up early to drive and be at work at 9:00 am. I feel a bit jet-lag'ish, but think a nap will get me back to mostly normal. No work today, so plenty of time to putter around, and get caught up at home. Thankful for safe travels, living in a land where no one asks for permit/papers of those who travel from state to state.

No comments:

Post a Comment