Friday, September 15, 2017

book review: "Fierce Kingdom"...

... written by Gin Phillips, a resident of Birmingham, Alabama. Copyright 2017, published by Penguin/Random House. I don't remember where I read about this, but saw a mention someplace and requested it from the library. It was excellent, could easily keep you up all night, hoping for resolution.

I think I could have read the entire book in twenty four hours, if I had not spent time driving. Started it before I left home, and took it with me to TN this past weekend. Had I been able to devote myself to reading, it was so fast paced I would have had to stay up all night to resolve the crisis as it unfolded. Due to travel, it took me three days to help the main characters, Joan and her young son, Lincoln safely removed from harm's way.

They  went to the zoo, for a couple of hours, after she had picked him up from school. As they often did, just roaming around, enjoying the animals, and visiting various exhibits. Joan hears something that sounds like balloons popping, and soon concludes it is gunfire. They hide, befriend other frightened zoo visitors, and are tucked away in a concession stand by a zoo employee.

The entire story takes place over a matter of hours, with lots of tension building as these two encounter the shooters.The young men, armed with automatic weapons, are killing animals, as well as casual zoo guests. When one of the teens finds the group hiding in the concession stand, he realizes he knows a teacher that is hiding with Joan and Lincoln. The zoo employee, the retired teacher and our two protagonists attempt an escape from the property. Nerve wracking, stressful, anxiety inducing. An well written tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment