Friday, September 22, 2017

getting hitched...


... on Saturday: the daughter of a cousin, who lives in Decatur. I offered to help with flowers, and was given the assignment of bouquets for the bridal party. She wanted calla lily blooms, and sent a photo that likely came from the internet, or some wedding site that provides a vast array with gazillions of  different combinations of fresh flowers. The one she wants to duplicate has dark purple, almost an eggplant color, and creamy off white flowers. Nothing else, no greenery or frou-frou, just the two colors of callas, with long stems, hand-tied, maybe about a dozen blooms.

I called the nearest wholesale floral supplier last week and placed my order, then proceeded to worry the colors I needed would not be available. Most of the fresh cut flowers we get at work are grown and shipped from South America,  Ecuador and Columbia. Cut, packed and flown to the states. There have been problems since that devastating hurricane, with supply chain for lots of goods our warehouse ships that are simply not available. Especially generic items, store-brand items like bread that were affected by flooding and power outages in Florida. As well as issues with goods shipped in from elsewhere by air freight.

Numerous items customers can usually expect to find in stock, and available at their convenience are simply out of stock, probably company wide, with no one getting things they need to stock shelves.  Making me a bit concerned about the availability of the callas, even though my co-worker suggested if the colors were a problem,I can 'invent' what I need. He suggested there is the option of floral grade spray paint to create amazing things not actually found in nature. But when I went to Alabama to pick up my order on Thursday afternoon, they had just what I had requested.

The wholesale floral supply shop had my phone number, so I assumed they would provide  notification if they had difficulty in fulfilling my request. I had not heard back, which caused me to hope with great optimism they had wat was needed. Drove over to Opelika on Thursday afternoon to get my fresh cut flowers, and was delighted to find just what the bride wants. I took a bucket, to keep in water and stay fresh,and will transport to Decatur to assemble on Saturday.

The bride told me her great grandmother offered her wedding dress. She found it to have some stains that could not be removed, but wanted to use some of he fabric to wrap the stems of the callas. Upon pondering on what I could add to make this even more special, I have: some crochet lace from her other great grandmother, a small piece of jewelry of my mom's. Both these women knew and loved this young adult woman and would be charmed and delighted to be a small part of this happy day. I don't think of myself as much of a traditionalist, but trying to come up with those traditional things that are so sweet and memorable when added to a bride's bouquet.  You know: old, new, borrowed, blue.

The wedding is Saturday afternoon, which gives me plenty of time to put the bouquets together. There will be two female cousins attending the smiling bride, who will have smaller hand tied bouquets with the aubergine and creamy callas as well. And many friends and family members present to witness and provide good wishes for a happy fifty-plus year marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment