Sunday, July 30, 2017

there is evil in the world...

...that is very alarming. I have been thinking about this all day long, while I was at work from 5 a.m. until about 3:30. I read a short article in the paper last night, which caused me to check with one of the daughters who keeps up with acquaintances via internet. I don't need to participate in facebook as I have people who will tell me all I need to know.

The news was several days old, so it has been out there a while. The story in the paper was about someone my family has a slight acquaintance with, who has been arrested for molesting young girls. Sadly, this is a man they know from years ago when they were in high school. He is several years older than my girls. He came out of an environment I would never have thought would produce a person who has such unpardonable impulses that he cannot control. I cannot even begin to fathom what would make a man do this. He has changed a lot of lives, and altered his forever.

I cannot understand. This is not something that took place in eastern Europe or central Africa where the news reports tales of men acting like animals. This did not occur in a third world country, but here in a place I thought was relatively civilized. I am so distressed in the knowing of this, and saddened by men who you would have thought to be capable, mature, responsible adults deliberately making amazingly poor choices. A man who let some bizarre desires take over his life and destroy his family.

Occasionally I will see something in the newspaper about a full grown man who has been arrested, jailed for attempting to connect with underage girls, and find he has been lured into meeting with an undercover law-enforcement agent. It is so tragic that there seems to be a constant necessity for 'stings', public safety personnel continuously making an effort to protect our young people from predators. All the while, I am so thankful they are there: monitoring, watching, defending and protecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment