Wednesday, July 19, 2017

on the move...

... with a quick trip SC and back to middle GA. I had planned to go to Greenville on Tuesday to visit my pen pal, but when my life devolved into chaos for a couple of weeks, not sure it was feasible to leave town. When it seemed like having The Man Who Lives Here as a captive in the rehab facility, I felt it would be safe to disappear for forty eight hours.

Drove up to Decatur on Monday evening, to spend the night in solitude of the attic on Eleanor St. A great place to get a good night's sleep, although I am lead to believe some of her dependents have been begging to transform that space into their clubhouse. She reports that at least two of the feline residents occasionally demand to be allowed to relocate there for surreptitious activities, so she has assumed that the guys are making it into their private space. If they only had opposable thumbs that would allow them to open the door at their convenience, they would have taken over. Fortunately the cats still have to ask for permission as they cannot turn the doorknob on their own, so there is no immediate danger of insurrection. I did sleep remarkably well, but had set my alarm to wake early, and get out of town before traffic got awful.

Had a good visit with Homer, but he has had a small crisis that was really upsetting. He is 93, lives alone, and seems to do a fairly adept job of taking care of himself. Though he has lots of family nearby, he manages his life remarkably well. He had a driving incident on Monday, so the guy from the claims dept.was there filling out a form when I arrived. It was obvious that the accident had really had a profound affect on Homer - probably leading him to lose confidence, and have some doubts about his continued ability to drive and remain independent. He was not hurt at all but his car, a 2002 in excellent condition, was pretty banged up. I hope this does not turn into a big deal with his family.

After lunch and conversation I had planned to visit a cousin who lives nearby in SC, and spend the night, return to GA on Wed. All went as planned and I am now back in my own little space, washer running, ready to crash after driving all day: there was a bad wreck on the interstate, so I have been around by both elbows to get home. Hours later than intended, but without incident.

As I was leaving Atlanta, the lighted signs above the highway warned of a 'major accident' on the southbound lanes, blocking the entire road way. I decided to take off into the unknown, rather than sit in traffic for hours - meaning those same hours were consumed by taking two lane country roads, meandering through suburbia, farm land, places I have never been before. With my trusty paper state road map, and a GPS I ignored for miles and miles, it was definitely the scenic route. Safely back at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment