Thursday, July 20, 2017

random bug reports...

... about things that I see during the few minutes I have been at home in recent days. There has been very little time when I have had the opportunity to roam around and look, see what's growing, blooming or disappearing as a result of being consumed by insects. That would be the parsley in a couple of large concrete planters near the front door. When I noticed the first of the week, it was nearly non-existent. Nothing but stems. Almost completely consumed by those little striped-y caterpillars that eventually become beautiful butterflies.

I had actually expected those wee little bugs would come along, and gorge on the decorative plantings, and mow the parsley, before becoming cocoons and completing the life cycle. This is the real reason I planted the herbs there, as I never ever use it in the kitchen, though it does make an eye-catching garnish. Plus high in iron, if you can tolerate the bitter taste on your tongue when you chew before you swallow.

Pretty sure I have taken photos and put them here in the past, but with the learning curve associated with the new phone, you cannot expect to see any pictures of fat little caterpillars here now. I guess the ones that are still tiny, barely bigger around that pencil lead got a late start, as some are as big as your finger. Wish I could remember what sort of butterfly/pollinator they will become, but that is what google is for, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment