Wednesday, February 15, 2017

you may think...

...that it sounds trivial, but it was really interesting. I volunteered to get with  group of people who will be participating in a Trivia Bee. Which is, I guess, similar to a Spelling Bee, but you don't have to know how to actually spell anything. Instead you just have to be a storehouse of useless information. Which I like think I have a abundance of, and would gladly share with anyone who cares to listen.

I got involved after receiving email from the man who is the president of the local artist's club. He sends a monthly newsletter, with meeting minutes, plus various updates, notes about upcoming events. Reporting that the Guild will be participating in the Trivia Bee. A fundraiser for the Literacy Alliance, which also happens to be an organization where I volunteer, in an elementary school one morning a week reading with a four year old.

I've read about the Bee in the news over the years, but never interested enough to attend. Or possibly just never been recruited to put my wealth of useless information on display for the general public. I understand the teams can decide on a theme for the group. Hear rumors that costumes and decorations can get completely out of hand. So even if my group does not end up with bragging rights, it should be sufficiently amusing to share here...

When I went today for the practice, there were maybe twenty or so other people in the room. I got there late (not surprising), and they had already started. Going over questions from previous Bee events, attempting to guess answers independently. It took a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

Then we were grouped by fours and put on teams. Given  more questions and timed for writing answers. I was (probably inappropriately) quite pleased with knowing some answers. All manner of topics: current events, history, geography. Questions about awards events like Grammys, Oscars, Emmys - where I was completely ignorant due to not watching TV at all. More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment