Friday, February 17, 2017

suprisingly, there is....

...nearly nothing on my calendar for today. Except a luncheon that prevents me from trying to rustle up a day of sub. teaching. The event I will attend is with a group called the Student's Club. I thought when I started trying to wangle an invitation, they were a book club, a group of women who would agree to an assignment each month, then meet to discuss what they had read.

Wrong. The pick a topic for the year and assign different people to do research, present a program each month for the members. This year's topic is southern writers. I missed the meeting in January, due to a previous commitment. I will go today and hope to be much more well informed after it is over. I think we have lunch first, then the presentation about some well known writer (who I have probably never read.)

When I went to a talk last night at the public library, about Carson McCullars, the speaker had a handout, with a list of well-known, highly regarded writers of the southern genre. Some long deceased, and some still actively publishing.  One, Donna Tartt from Mississippi, won a Pulitzer for 'The Goldfinch', so I will request that one and get it read. The list included people like Harper Lee, Truman Capote, William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor and others. I have read very few of the titles listed, making me feel ill-informed and slightly ignorant.

It will be interesting to hear what the presenters have to say about the writers they were assigned. While we are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Carson McCullars birthday the talks on other well known works from southern authors to be most timely. I will try to be more deliberate in my reading, and get some of those 'classics' taken care of. Better than sitting in front of the TV mesmerized for hours on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment