Wednesday, March 23, 2016

...'it's been interesting'...(March 8, 2015)

... has been the response I try to make when people ask me how I like the job. Now that I have been doing it for several months, and apparently the move is permanent. In that my 'job class' has changed and I am no longer designated as a produce department worker. Which means: I find myself with a considerable reduction in pay. Not at all what I expected or intended as a result of agreeing to be trained to do the cooking demo. I was actually hoping the change would result in getting a few more hours, and a little boost in my weekly pay. Along with the possibility that I would get a raise when the next work evaluation period occurs.

I have a very clear sense of feeling like I shot myself in the foot. I do seem to be working a bit more than the parsimonious amount of time allotted when in the floral/produce department. But with marked reduction in hourly pay, I feel like I am sliding down the hill, backwards, without any hope of rescue. And no possibility for regaining the lost income I'd incrementally won over months and years of dependable, diligent work. Not something that would inspire one to be conscientious or demonstrate devotion to a job. As in: what's the point, anyway?

I will occasionally, when feeling stressed, say: 'it's not the  most fun I ever had'. But think the response I started off with is appropriately generic, covers enough of the spectrum for people to reach their own conclusions about how I'm liking/not the work. It has been interesting, in ways the average shopper/customer would not believe. It's actually pretty difficult for me to believe this is an appropriate way to treat reliable, faithful, hardworking employees, so unlikely the casual passer-by would want to know this happens where they have their favorite shopping experience.

That's my rant for today. Sorry....                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment