Tuesday, December 2, 2014

working at cooking...

...where I continue to be... ambivalent? undecided? uncertain? not at all sure?

People frequently ask:"'how do you like it?" Customers who have been seeing me in the booth, measuring, frantically stirring, or dishing up tasty morsels. Faces that have become familiar, apparently leaving the work place, and headed towards home. Who seem to have nothing better to do than show up at the same time day after day - which I find remarkable, as well as more than slightly disconcerting.  But my job is to prepare and serve, prepare - serve, prepareserve. Dish it up, and smile. Which I feel like I consistently do, without questions or hesitation.

Except where small children are involved. If there is no adult nearby, who seems to be the responsible party, I am to say: 'where's mom?', and explain that mom needs to come and ok them having a plate to taste. Then I have to explain to mom about food allergies, and ask if there might be a problem. She almost invariably says: 'oh, they'll be all right', so feed them I do. I did ask last week if the kids liked egg nog, and some mothers said they had never had it. But I am very wary of feeding little people things they might not be accustomed to, or have a problem with consuming. Hoping none will fall out on my watch.

And then there are the co-workers who will pass by, give a glance in hopes that I will have a plate in my hand, ready to serve them a couple of fork-fulls. That will pass across the counter into their hands on the fly. Which they can gobble on the go, and hide the evidence. Before they get around the next aisle where they will need both hands to open the cartons, stock the cans and jars.

They too are asking me: 'how do you like it?' I'm thinking I need to formulate a pat, consistent, non-committal answer to give to everyone. In the manner of kids telling lies, and not being able to keep their 'story straight'. If it's easy to remember, and always the same, it seems like there is no way to get into hot water. I need for my answer to be the same for everyone who asks. And start practicing being vague.

No comments:

Post a Comment