Saturday, December 20, 2014

remembering Christmas... part 4

... as grandparents aged, and no longer invited generations to come and have the feast for the holiday, it was really random at the house I grew up in. My mom had several items for Sunday lunch, things that would cook unattended when you set the timer on the oven and it would be mouth-watering ready when we got home.  You could count on standard recipes with tried and true stand-bys. Things that could be expected to show up on a regular basis. The bean casserole with mushroom soup and onions on top. The mushroom steak with thin sliced lemons and olive oil. The mashed potatoes with little green canned peas you put in the hole you make in the center of a blob of potatoes to look like a bird's nest.

But on Christmas: you better be prepared for something highly non-traditional. I do remember an occasional turkey, dressing/gravy meal but she was not one to pull out all the stops. The most interesting thing I can recall having as a kid: hot dogs. My  non-traditional mom - I don't know if it was planned or just a 'whatever'. I cannot say with certainty, but I think I recall a time when my brother went in the kitchen and made his beloved peanut-butter and honey on light bread. I probably had a ketchup sandwich, which was in a tie for the ones my grandmother plied my cousin and I with: butter and granulated sugar on white bread. How's that for good nutrition?

No comments:

Post a Comment