Saturday, December 20, 2014

a conundrum...

...is defined atsa question or problem having only a conjectural answer; an intricate or difficult problem. I've been pondering since having a 'you're on the hot spot' conversation with the store manager today. Due to a highly dissatisfying experience I had nearly two months ago, when the semi-yearly work evaluation was so crappy, I am still steamed about it.

So I just now got around to getting my thoughts together to write a response to my concerns about how the departmental manager looked at my work ethic, skills and attitude. He obviously a) was told to give me a poor score, thereby avoiding the possibility of a raise (big deal: a pay increase in the grocery business might be five or ten cents per hours :(>  or b) was really annoyed about something that was likely not related to what I do when I am at work. But since it was crappy and I am still stewing about it, I did compose a well worded rebuttal to put in my personnel file. For all the good that will do weeks after the fact. Yeah- I know, it's history, a moot point.

But since I cannot let it rest, I had to have another conversation with them about it. And probably shot myself in the foot again. Occurring when the store manager called in the person who is now the supervisor/direct manager for all the front end workers: cashiers, customer service, baggers and me. For whatever reason, she seems to be hard to get along with.

The conundrum: just because something is True, does that make it Right?  Here's the set up: too many job reviews by people who have no idea what I do, what I am supposed to do, how well I do it. Either new to the store, or new to the job, with no experience in management. I know there is a learning curve and everyone has to start somewhere. So even people with no knowledge or any experience at their job are given the responsibility of deciding how well I do mine? There seems to be something seriously wrong with that picture. It is true they have been given the task/responsibility of managing. But just because they have a title (and the accompanying pay), does not mean they know what they are doing, to say nothing of knowing what or how well I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment