Monday, December 8, 2014

giving away...

...apple slices, skewered with a toothpick and stuck in a glob of thick and densely sweet caramel dip for five hours on Sunday. This day of tasty treats replaces what was called Holiday Fest. When each area of the store would provide samples of holiday goods for customers to sample. In an obvious effort to lure customers in to purchasing some delectable items they never even knew they wanted until the wonderfulness arrived on their taste buds.

This 'event' has been considerably downgraded is size and scope in recent years - a dollar-wise effort to conserve the amount of food given away to a steady stream of open-mouthed customers.(Reminding me of the big carp in the pool at the Sibley Center when they hear the quarter going 'round in the fish food dispenser.) You cannot advertise free food during certain hours on a certain day and not expect people to arrive ready to consume. I noticed people with little foam plates with whole shrimps, or just the tails remaining by the time they got to the far corner of the store where I was standing.

Don't know what other areas were giving away, other than some delicioso coffee flavored ice cream the grocery department was sampling in little cups.  I had three, and wanted more :)> I noticed some kids eating ice cream and asked what flavor it was. When I heard, I think I abandoned my post, after checking to see if the department manager was going to give me the stinkeye... to make a bee-line to the ice cream stand. And told someone I was thinking of adding a 'half-gallon of coffee ice cream with crunchy chocolate bits' to my Christmas list.

No comments:

Post a Comment